The countdown is on to the award-winning Australian Bushfire Building Conference with a great number of building industry professionals from across Australia already registered to attend on 23 – 25 of October at Fairmont Resort, in the Blue Mountains.
Organised by Blue Mountains Economic Enterprise (BMEE), the 5th Australian Bushfire Building Conference is the only bushfire building conference in Australia providing a holistic, multidisciplinary approach to building in bushfire prone areas.
With growing concerns of climate change, and the ever-present threat of bushfires during the warmer months, the building industry will continue to face many challenges. This is a must-attend conference for architects, building designers, builders, landscapers, urban planners, engineers, and BPAD practitioners who want to look to the future and potentially influence standards and regulations in the years to come.
Australia’s Research Leader of Bushfire Urban Design at CSIRO, Justin Leonard, who will be presenting at the conference, said the building industry will benefit greatly from shifting its focus from regulatory compliance to best practice building performance.
“This conference offers a wide range of insights which can help make the leap,” Mr Leonard said. “I will be presenting on a bushfire building best practice guide to promote the idea of moving on from a minimum compliance approach. The conference has grown in its diversity and complexity of topics, I hope it continues to grow in this way.”
Here are 5 reasons why you need to attend the 2019 Australian Bushfire Building Conference:
- Connect with key influencers in the industry – The Conference provides plenty of opportunities for you to interact with high-profile building industry professionals, build your brand and be a part of shaping the future of bushfire building in Australia. One of the highlights will be the Conference dinner held at the iconic Hydro-Majestic Hotel in Medlow Bath – the ideal setting to interact and network with other industry professionals in a relaxed environment.
- Learn about the latest ground-breaking research from leaders in the industry – The Australian Bushfire Building Conference is the perfect platform to learn and share knowledge with industry professionals across multiple disciplines. Renowned national and international experts will explore the theme of ‘liveability’ across the main two-day program. They will discuss the latest research, updates and technologies on building in bushfire prone areas. It’s also an opportunity for idea-generation, particularly around shaping future regulations and policies.
- See real-life examples of bushfire re-builds – see firsthand the range of unique Blue Mountains homes that have been built in extreme bushfire settings on a pre-conference field trip bus tour. From simple to stylish, from hill-top to underground, tour leader ECOdesign Architect Nigel Bell will guide you through the challenges faced in juggling survivability vs liveability. He will also be showcasing a number of BAL-FZ homes that will be sure to inspire your future building projects.
- Be inspired by the latest initiatives and designs: Experience the Conference’s industry expo featuring leading suppliers of bushfire building products. The year’s platinum sponsor Cemintel will be showcasing their fire-resistant products that are suitable for building in bushfire zones. They can also provide one-on-one design assistance and technical support. Cemintel spokesperson, Kim Roughan, said Cemintel is pleased to support events like the Australian Bushfire Building Conference. “Cemintel is committed to educating the numerous professional disciplines on the features and benefits of fibre cement, and this conference is an excellent platform to learn and share this knowledge.”
- Earn valuable CPD points – Adding further value to the conference is the opportunity to earn extra CPD points for enhancing and developing your professional knowledge and skills.